Our USCIS Civil Surgeon is experienced with the medical requirements of these examinations. Individuals applying for citizenship, seeking Permanent Residency or a Green Card are required to obtain an immigration physical prior to approval of their application. It is mandatory that immigration physicals are completed by a Designated Civil Surgeon so the exam is valid. We do all the necessary testing on site and have most of the required vaccines in our office.
AFC Urgent Care of Portland - Urgent Care Center can perform the required immigration physicals in accordance with the Department of Homeland Security and U.S. Citizen and Immigration Services for immigrants or employers who hire employees originating from another country. Each evaluation includes an examination performed according to the medical guidelines established by the Department of Homeland Security and U.S. Citizen and Immigration Services and Centers for Disease Control. The civil surgeon will record the exam results on Form I-693 for the applicant to return to the USCIS (INS).
At AFC Urgent Care of Portland - Urgent Care Center, we perform examinations. Please call us today to schedule an appointment. We accept proof of vaccination done elsewhere. We have the ability to provide the physical examination, the blood tests, the skin test for tuberculosis, the vaccinations required, and chest x-rays, if needed. This is all that is required to complete the medical part of your application.
When you come to your appointment, please arrive 30 minutes before the scheduled appointment time for paperwork to be filled out. You will have a minimum of two visits with the Civil Surgeon. The first visit will be the day of your scheduled appointment, and the second visit will be when you pick up your signed documentation. Additional visits may be necessary dependent on the Civil Surgeon schedule and test results.
During your first visit you are directed to a Medical Assistant who will collect all the necessary documentation and record it on your I-693 form. A Civil Surgeon will enter the room and perform the required immigration physical.
During the exam, the Civil Surgeon will review health history and conduct a full body examination. (For females, a female staff member will be present in the room if there is a male Civil Surgeon). Once health history is reviewed with the Civil Surgeon, he or she will inform the Medical Assistant to give any further vaccinations/immunizations/blood draws.
Once all reports have been received and reviewed by a Civil Surgeon, he or she will notify the applicant that the documents have been completed and may be signed by the applicant. If there are labs, please expect at least two to three days for your paperwork to be finished. If given a PPD, there is a 48-72 hour time frame to read results. If RPR (syphilis) is drawn, results will take about two to three days.
Included in the Immigration Physical examination:
- Physical examination and completion of all the necessary paperwork
- Physical and mental evaluation
- A review of all available medical records
- Evaluation of other physical or mental abnormality, disease or disability
- Vaccinations and status verification
Administration of vaccines, chest x-rays, Tuberculin (Skin Test), RPR (Syphilis Test) and any other required services are available at additional cost.
What you need to bring
Patients are advised to bring the following to their appointment:
- Government issued picture ID such as a driver's license or passport (if physical is for child, child will need photo ID as well. Parent ID will not be accepted)
- Vaccine/Immunization records (if records are in a different language it will need to be translated into English): www.uscis.gov/i-693
- Hospital or clinic records, including proof of prior treatment for tuberculosis or other infectious disease
- Prior chest x-rays and/or other diagnostic tests
- Any mental health records
- Immigration Physical Form I-693 form (you may complete this online or you may fill one out here at the clinic. Please be sure everything is capitalized and in black ink)
- Payment (we accept cash, credit and check).
Costs for the Medical Exam
- Examination - $200
- PPD - $25
- TDAP - $79
- Polio - $65
- MMR - $99
- HEP A - $99
- HEP B (each injection) - $99
- Meningococcal - $162
- Varicella - $163
- RPR - $25
- Chest X-ray - $65
- Lab Draw Fee - $15
- Injection Fee - $28
After the Exam
A Medical Assistant will insert original I-693 form along with original copies of any reports in a sealed envelope. Copies are available to the applicants as well.